Motivation has a bad habit of sneaking away just when you need it most!… To be completely honest, I have severely struggled with motivation over the last few months since going to nights. When you work 12 hour shifts and try to sleep at least 8 hours it only leaves a couple of hours to get anything done, and talk to anyone who has worked night shift, the likely hood of getting a full 8 hours of good sleep doesn’t always happen either. So the big question becomes how do you get motivated when you just aren’t.
There are so many places in our lives that we can lose motivation in. It may be motivation to clean your house, motivation to work out, motivation to complete work that you have been putting off. Whatever it is, when you loose motivation you lose your ability to plan, you start to slack in the progress you are making, and you eventually slide so far down into a hole, that you feel like there is no way to begin making progress again.
The main thing to remember when you lose your motivation is to start small, don’t overwhelm your self. Lack of motivation is essentially burn out, so if you try to jump back in all at once likelihood says that you WILL fail. I find that when I lose motivation if I can make one step, the next one is easier.
So logistically what should we do when we lose motivation. Here are a couple of steps you can take to help you get back on track.
1. Make a decision that you are going to get back on track
2. Choose one task that you need to complete to get back on track, break it down into small parts and work on it for 15 minutes.
3. Step back and realize what you have done, with most things you will see results. (With something like weight loss you may not be able to see the results but how do you feel?)
4. Share your successes with a friend, and create a new goal.
5. Keep moving as you see progress it will make you want to continue moving.
If you suffer with depression, or even are just struggiling with finding motivation with multiple areas in your life, and are having trouble even getting to this point, start with something small. Get out of bed, take a shower, get dressed all the way to your shoes, do your hair and makeup, and make a list. These small steps will make you feel accomplished and make it easier to get things accomplished. Take these small steps and repeat when you lose motivation and it will make getting back on track so much easier.